Riga is the capital city of Latvia and the largest city of the Baltic states, one of the largest cities in Northern Europe. Riga is located along the Baltic Sea at the southern coast of the Gulf of Riga. We confirm that Riga is great place to visit, no matter what purpose you have - business meeting, vacation or other.
What you should know about Riga?
- IMPORTANT! On October 30 at 4:00 a.m. is going to be time change in Latvia by turning clock 1 h back.
- The International country calling code of Latvia is +371.
- The emergency number for police, ambulance, fire brigade and other rescue services is 112. The call is free of charge.
- Latvia’s national currency is euro.
- There is smoking ban in Riga.
Looking after the health of Riga’s residents and guest, the Health Ministry has made the decision to ban smoking in public places. There is a complete smoking ban in restaurants, pubs and cafes in Riga, however, smoking is permitted in outdoor cafes only in designated area. Smoking is not permitted in nightclubs, cinemas, as well as in concert and sport venues, unless there is a special designated smoking area. The same goes for casinos and gambling halls.
Official state language is Latvian.
Riga and other cities in Latvia are very friendly to tourists and almost everywhere people talk English. But you still can learn some Latvian words:
- Hello! - Labdien!
- Goodbye! - Uz redzēšanos!
- Thank you! - Paldies!
- My name is... - Mani sauc...
- I'm from... - Esmu no...
- I'm participant of Drupalcamp Baltics - Esmu DrupalCamp Baltics dalībnieks
- I love Drupal! - Es mīlu Drupal!
Internet in Riga
The Internet can be accessed throughout the city of Riga. You can buy Internet pre-payment card or look for public places with "WiFi" sticker, they usually offer wireless Internet. Internet access free of charge is available in many hotels and libraries.